torsdag 2. juni 2011

Adrenaline is legal

As long as I can remember skydiving has been a dream of mine. The sensation of rushing through the air, nothing holding you up or down, just falling at an insane speed towards the landscape. When we made New Zealand part of our trip we quickly added skydiving as one of our musts. It turned out to be a little more tricky than we thought, weather and other conditions must be pretty perfect. First they cancelled because of wind. Then they cancelled for clouds, twice! I suppose we're glad they were fussy though. That just made it even better waking up on the third day we were hanging around Wanaka on a PERFECT morning. Exactly the kind of day that makes you want to throw yourself of an airoplane, 3650m abowe the ground...

 Eddy (a chinese girl from our hostel who also came skydiving) and I all excited!


"Strap yourself to a beautiful stranger"

From our early morning pick up everything seemed to rush by. We were introduced to our instructors ("beautiful stranger"), given jump suits, caps, gloves and goggels and suddenly we sitting in a tiny airoplane together with three other jumpers and their instructors. At first I was merely enjoying the amazing view; Jagged mountains with fresh snow, winding rivers, lakes and hills. Then it started to dawn on me that we were actually not landing, we were jumping to get down... My instructor strapped me unto his stomach, so tight I could feel his calm breathing. That helped, at least until they pulled the airplane door open and I was sitting on the edge dangling my feet almost 4km over the ground. Before I could think another thought we were spinning around, then straightening out and zooming towards the ground. They say it's 45 seconds free fall, to me it felt like 5. It was fantastic and wierd and frightening, all at the same time. Wow. My instructor pulled the strap and we jerked upwards, my ears squicking because of course I didn't remember to equalize on our way down. Then I could sit back and enjoy the incredible veiw, for once pretty speech less.


A beautiful day!

Sanna with her instructor, he had done 14,000 jumps before this one. In good hands!

Back on the ground the whole thing seemed surreal. Eventually I managed to calm my pulse and stop jumping up and down with excitement, but the huge goofy grin stayed in place for the rest of the day. Hey, adrenaline is legal!

Just a little after excitement ;)

Our adrenaline souvenirs! Not that we could ever forget..

7 kommentarer:

  1. Benedikte Smelien2. juni 2011 kl. 00:40

    Fy søren! Dette hørtes like fantastisk ut som jeg alltid har håpet det var. Artig lesing :) Kos dere videre!

    SvarSlett
  2. Å dere gærne jenter! Kan nesten kjenne adrenalinkicket når jeg leser dette! Dere er så modige og tøffe!

    SvarSlett
  3. Åh, nå ble jeg litt misunnelig, men først og fremst veldig, veldig glad på deres vegne! Jeg har også alltid drømt om denne opplevelsen, og det ser og høres eventyrlig ut!

    SvarSlett
  4. Så gøy! Dere er modige altså:-D

    SvarSlett
  5. Strap yourself to a beautiful stranger... plutsle vart d meir fristande! E ken skikkele sjå får me at du va heilt i 100 ettepå, Sanna :) What a rush, and what a day!

    SvarSlett
  6. Hello you two,
    I just wanted to say that I have been following your trip along with your reports since you left Norway in early February, and I am really enjoying it! Everything sounds so exciting and interesting. I can really picture things from your enthusiastic descriptions and I bet you are having a fantastic time. Sky diving, how great. I'm not sure I'd dare, though it must be amazing and I have been thinking once if I would.
    Stay well and have a great and amazing time for the rest of your trip.
    Petra Doherr (Anita's mum) from Germany

    SvarSlett
  7. Ja, vi er forskjellig laget. Det har jeg visst lenge. Må ha vært en flott følelse for den som liker det. Ble sikkert enda bedre kjent med dere selv!

    SvarSlett